As most of you have heard there are some BIG changes for BACB (Behavior Analyst Certification Board) in 2022. Along the way, there are many boxes that will need to be checked off and new changes to learn. In this blog, we will review the 3 most important updates that you need to know!
New 5th Edition Task List:
Out of all the changes, the first big one is that the content on the exam will now cover the 5th Edition Task List. The coursework requirements to take the exam for a BCBA have changed from 270 hrs to 315 hrs. In addition to that change, the number of coursework hours per subject area have been updated. With this transition it might become confusing to ensure you are on the right path with the new coursework. Take the time to reach out for help from someone you trust, like your supervisor to ensure that you’re on track for a successful transition. It never hurts to get a second opinion, especially from someone with experience.
Criteria for both, Supervised and Concentrated, have been updated with new requirements for 2022. We have listed them below for you, but be sure to see the BACB Handbook for more details and information.
- Both fieldwork settings, there is a minimum requirement to accrue 20 hours per month and the cap per month of accrued hours is 130 hours. One observation by the qualified supervisor of the trainee with a client is required per month and must be for at least 15 minutes.
- Both must always have at least 50% of the supervised hours must be individual- in other words, group supervision cannot exceed 50%.
- Both the supervised fieldwork and the concentrated supervised fieldwork, at least 60% of supervised field MUST be spent engaged in unrestricted activities.
- Supervised fieldwork hours required is now 2000 hours, requires a minimum of 4 supervisor-trainee contacts per month, and the trainee must be supervised for 5% of their monthly hours.
- Concentrated fieldwork hours required is now 1500 hours. A minimum of 6 supervisor-trainee contacts are required per month, and the trainee must be supervised for 10% of their monthly hours supervised field MUST be spent engaged in unrestricted activities.
With these new unfamiliar changes, it is important that you are diligent about keeping track of your goals, your progress, your supervision hours, etc. You want to find a tracking system that works for you and your supervisor. When figuring out the way that is best for you, be sure to look over the BACB Checklist and Tip Sheet. This will help you to double check you are meeting all the documentation requirements.
Consulting Supervisor Requirements:
Lastly, as of January 1st, 2022 first year BCBAs who provide supervision to BCBA or BCaBA trainees accruing fieldwork hours must meet with a consulting supervisor each month in which they provide supervision for the remainder of their first year. This new requirement won’t apply to most BCBAs, including those who have been certified for more than one year, who are not providing supervision to trainees accruing fieldwork, and who are only providing supervision to RBTs or BCaBAs. That being said, this requirement is important to know, as it may affect trainees who plan to receive supervision from a newly certified BCBA next year. For a more thorough explanation of this new requirement, please review the Consulting Supervisor Requirements for New BCBAs Supervising Fieldwork document.
We hope this was a helpful resource for you as you prepare to start your journey into the ABA field. We know how important support is during this process which is why Verbal Beginnings has a support community to help you through this! Verbal Beginnings has built our entire platform to support your supervision hour requirements. All our Centers offer opportunities for training, obtaining your direct and indirect supervision hours, working with your supervisor, or any combination therein.